Nimistor pirates

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 16:12:28 +1300

Keith Nellist

> The Pirates are Wolf Pirates from the Threesteps Isles. I don't
> know of any pirates in Nimistor as Kaztorplase is not noted as
> being a haven for pirates.

>In the Runequest Companion's Holy Country timeline the year 1616 describes
the
>Pharoah's fleet losing to Nimistor Pirates and his army being defeated by a
>combined Ditali/Solanthi army.

Ah. I was wondering about the source for this as I realized ToTRM#16 Seapolis article made the same statement.

>Strangely, it doesn't mention the Pharoah's
>disappearance so I will conceed that it may not be entirely reliable.

It's been superceded in part by the Glorantha Book and ToTRM#10, both of which explicitly state that the Pirates were led by Harrek the Berserk and are based at Three-steps.

Further errors in it, IMO, are:

>I expect
>some of the Wolf pirates could be from Nimistor; they did scour the southern
>Genertelan coast, presumably picking up recruits on the way.

They would have picked up recruits from _all_ over their coastline and not have acquired a Nimistori reputation. By and large, most of the wolf pirates are Yggites. There are substantial populations of them at Ginorth or Gothalos. So why would the Three-steps pirates require Nimistori to make up their numbers?

>People from
>Nimistor are Orlanthi tribesmen so perhaps it was really Wolf pirates with
>Nimistor tribal backup from the sea, and Ditali/Solanthi from the land.

I doubt that the Ditali/Solanthi and the Wolf Pirates are in cahoots. The wolf pirates raid _everyone_.