Re: East Ralian marriage

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:15:02 -0800

> > If East Ralios follows the old Irish model closely...

> Sounds like they don't. Assuming, that is, that they're Orlanthi, not
> Irish.

East Ralians are not Irish, but neither are they Heortlings. And the customs described in King of Sartar are Heortling customs. The Orlanthi of Ralios and the Orlanthi of Fronela and the Orlanthi of Ramalia (who are Harandings) all worship essentially the same gods, but are not culturally the same.

One difference in my game is that it is considered desirable for a man to have multiple wives in East Ralios. Of course, only a few of the wealthier men can actually afford this. And I don't think all the different forms of marriage exist, either.

>From my one-page summary:

Marriage is a partnership, with husband and wife sharing in property. Children are part of the husband's clan. They're frequently fostered, and are initiated into adulthood with various tests. <<<<