Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #417

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:25:51 +1100

Jane finds the holes in my idea

Me
>> If so part of the marriage rites must be to identify (at least) the
>> wife to the man's mythic ancestors or otherwise tie her into the family
>> myths.

Jane
>Identify her, yes. But, I still think, not to make her part of the same
>bloodline, because that would make the marriage incestuous. Think
>about Orlanth and Ernalda: she doesn't leave the Earth tribe, does
>she? In fact, she carries on being the head of it. But her children by
>Orlanth are all Air tribe.

She should definitely retain her own mythic links, not least because this adds strengths (&possibly weakness) to the bloodline which is, after all, part of the purpose of marriage. I still think that a mythicly based society would attempt to tie myths together. The marriage ceremony seems idealy placed to do this.

Perhaps marriage tabboos have something to do with incompatible myths or spirits Is this not part of what Nick was exploring in the story of The Fox King (footnote 3)? Triarities could then be a group with particularly compatible spirit conections which are strengthened by their close intermarriage.

Jane re Minaryth's story in KoS
>This looks to me as if the child joins the clan of whatever male is
>protecting him at the time, with biological relationship being almost
>irrelevant. ... The actual process of being the
>biological father takes a few minutes, and not much talent.

Precicely

Jane
>Later in life, Minaryth names his sons after his mother's husband, and
>after Rostalos: the men who had been fathers to him, but to whom he
>had no genetic relationship.

I would argue that these men are the ones from whom he could claim descent. Being initiated or nurtured in their myths makes them his fathers. The biological relationship is utterly irrelevant & in a world where reality can be adjusted by myth possibly no longer extant. If this idea holds water (or air) fostering in Orlanthi society is a truly serious commitment. It also spreads the "immediate" family over far more people & further emphasises the need for marriage outside the clan.

As a codicil new clans could use internal marriage to strengthen their own bonds. Is the Uleria priestess also the matchmaker & so a politician of no little power?

On adultery. If the incoming spouse is tied to the bloodline's mythic heritage any adultery inside the kinship group is incest (cf Hamlet's feelings re his mother & uncle. Not biologicaly related but definitely socialy so). Given that marriage appears to be interclan, would it be too much to infer that the rest of the clan (the group to whom the spouse has most access) constitute close kin. Adultery in small close knit communities (steads) is also likely to cause kinstrife.

IMHO Orlanthi marriage should be viewed much more for its social consequences than its biological ones.

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc