Pirates of 1616

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 99 18:53 MET

Nimistor pirate navy defeats pharaonic fleet: In RQC the coverage of the events in Kethaela after 1615 is poor, to say the least. The disappearance of the Pharaoh is missing, for instance...

Peter claims
>It's been superceded in part by the Glorantha Book and ToTRM#10, both
>of which explicitly state that the Pirates were led by Harrek the
>Berserk and are based at Three-steps.

Glorantha Book says Wolf Pirates, and makes no mention of Harrek at all (Timeline p.29). This can be read either way in combination with Glorantha Book p.15, although current theory seems to be that he sailed from Sog city to the Threestep Isles in 1615, raided Kethaela in 1616, then went to Ygg's Isles to get acknowledgement by Ygg, and his ship.

>Further errors in it, IMO, are:

>- the ludicrous consititional republic of the Caladralanders

I agree to this.

> - the Only Old One's fleet sailing the open seas long past the
> date of the Closing.

That's from Troll Pak, which has the dates wrong.

>They would have picked up recruits from _all_ over their coastline
>and not have acquired a Nimistori reputation.

True. They'd prefer experienced sailors, maybe, though I don't see how Nimistor River would provide these.

>By and large, most
>of the wolf pirates are Yggites. There are substantial populations
>of them at Ginorth or Gothalos. So why would the Three-steps pirates
>require Nimistori to make up their numbers?

Wear and tear, and replacements by ruthless natives - for which the Wenelians might just qualify... The Wolf Pirates take everyone tough enough.

>I doubt that the Ditali/Solanthi and the Wolf Pirates are in cahoots.
>The wolf pirates raid _everyone_.

The Solanthi don't?