Re: gloranthan photreconnaissane

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 01:04:29 GMT

Steve Lieb, on Flying Orlanthi Map Makers:
> Until the Montpelier brothers, number of humans that could fly = 0.

OTOH, number of humans that could climb a mile or so up handily placed mountains, quite large. I don't believe that you'll on a regular, quotidian basis find people with access to magic that's orders of magnitude _more_ useful for mapping purposes, who have nothing better to do with their Sacred Magics than impersonate the Ordinance Survey.

Mystic vision I see as rather a different case. Yes, you should be able to use it for such things, but I doubt it's 100% reliable by any manner or means either.

> > Glorantha with Lozengal Positioning Satellites (dwarf
> >ones aside) is getting too far away from the idea of "ancient world
> >as it really _should_ have been" and into "cod fantasy".

> I will certainly accept the argument in regards to MGF. But that's like
> arguing "orange" is prettier than "blue" - it's purely subjective.

I don't think I just made an "it's MGF" type argument, which I generally find lazy at best, and annoying at worst. Sure you can say it's "just a preference", but hardly an arbitrary one.

> What's a "cod fantasy"? I hesitate to visualize such thing.

That's the general idea.

Slainte,
Alex.