East Ralian Orlanthi

From: Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 21:12:20 -0800

Dave writes:

>East Ralians are not Irish, but neither are they Heortlings. And the
>customs described in King of Sartar are Heortling customs. The Orlanthi of
>Ralios and the Orlanthi of Fronela and the Orlanthi of Ramalia (who are
>Harandings) all worship essentially the same gods, but are not culturally
>the same.

Yes, I realize that this is actually Greg's fault, bne thing I've frankly NEVER understood about East Ralios is why the heck there are any Orlanthi there at all. In reality, it's about as far away from Sartar as possible, given that all the mountains are impassable! Zero communications with the Orlanthi heartland in Sartar. In the First Age, the whole area was overrun by Gbaji and Arkat, and
it's now heavily inluenced by westerners and trolls. I can imagine a lot of interesting cultures in East Ralios, but Orlanthi is about the last.

I was involved in helping create one of the first Ralios maps (along with Jurek Chodak, formerly of Chaosium), many of the ideas of which have been kept in official pubs, but out of 4 of us nobody ever said "gee, it's so logical to have Orlanthi here".

Morgan Conrad