Balastor's Barracks

From: Ian Thomson <gpo.swin.edu.au_at_lucy.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:33:06 +0000

Hello

One of my next projects is a reconstruction of a large scenario I wrote on Balastor's Barracks having been quite disappointed by the officially available material

I have a couple of questions:
1) I have an original twist on where the axe is hidden, altho I'm sure others have thought of it also - on the HeroPlane and only accessible via a shadow quest re-enactment of the rescuing of Balastor's body and axe and fleeing with them into the barracks. So it turns out that a PC was actually the person who hid the axe by taking it through time to the present, which was why it was never found before. Even if this is not quite officially possible I'd welcome anyone else's evaluations/expansions on this idea

2) This brings up new problems of how they are precipitated into this shadow quest (being in the right place at the right time is of course a last ditch option). So this is really an extension on Q1. Why would adventurer PCs be the ones to find the axe - I'm looking for bizarre plot ideas - I suppose for locals, being a descendent of Balastor Brightaxe is possible

3) Another major problem is what to do with the axe after you get it In my campaign one lot of PCs who were rebels took it to the rebel base (at Gonn Orta's castle) after having a detection block cast on it and thus fleeing under the noses of the Lunars :)
Non rebels could do the same thing but simply trade it with the Gonn for goodies
Anyone else with ideas...

Sorry for tripping down memory lane for all you people onto much more socio-political things (which I find very interesting and am filing away, but are currently beyond the scope of my game)

And thanks to the various people who have helped/are helping with collecting info and ideas on LBQ (credits will be given in the piece)

Ian
ithomson_at_swin.edu.au
eyan_at_primus.com.au (Feb 99 only)