Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #420

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:00:17 +1100

Nick is lured into the open again.

>Darvall writes:
>
>> Is this not part of what Nick was exploring in the story of The Fox
>> King (footnote 3)?
>
>Wow!
>
>Probably was. Does it make sense?
>
>(I can't remember what footnote 3 said, or how it is being interpreted, but
>I'm sure both are good...)

Footnote 3 reads "Interesting in that Esmerelda (as a Hiording maiden) would represent a swan. This tale is perhaps an ancient hsunchen or durulz cycle... now repeating itself in the more developed folklore of the Sartarite Orlanthi.

It is also noted later that the villain was identified with the Fox a mythical enemy of the ducks & the swan people. Given that the story was that of a disasterous marriage I felt that it could be interpretted as condemnation of mythically inapropriate matches.

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc