red moon in RL

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:42:47 +0200 (EET)

> >Apparently, there was a Blue Moon in January, and I missed it! Never mind,
> >there's another in March, at 10:49 UTC on the 31st.
>
> >A Blue Moon, for those perplexed, is a second moon in a month.
>
> According to a recent definition spread by Trivial Pursuit. Prior
> to that, it meant the Moon actually appeared blue (hence the name)
> and so only was visible when there was some odd stuff in the sky
> (volcanic ash springs to mind).

How many of you have seen a full lunar eclipse? (moon going fully into Earths shadow at night)

Last time it happened here in Finland I was on the roof watching... Apparently some light still hits the moon... red light that is bent and refracted from the rim of earths atmosphere.

The moon was a dull blood red in a very dark sky, amidst very bright stars. The sight was... I have to say very mystical, and rather scary.

I wonder if Greg saw one of those events some time, long ago. I've also seen the moon be quite blue, but can't remember the occasion.

        -Mikko, the Adept

"thinker, dreamer and adventurer"