Blue Moons

From: DUNCAN ROWLANDS <DUNCANROWLANDS_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:06:29 -0500

Another possible source for the term blue moon being given to the second full moon in a month is that some almanac or diary printer (can't remembe= r
which one, but I read all this in the Independent last week) indicates th= e
full moons using red ink for the first moon in a month and blue ink for t= he
second (if there is one).
Bit spooky eh? If there was a third would they use black ink?

The whole debate is fairly meaningless as a second full moon in a month i= s
merely the result of our dodgy calander as the moon keeps nicly regular time at about one cycle every 29.5 days. If we had a thirteen, even duration, month year then a blue moon would never occur (and we could all=

be good Orlanthi?)

BTW, the next time both January and March have 'Blue' moons is 2018. =

Probably better to pop down to Devon next August for the solar eclipse.

end of trivial cod contents

Duncan