Re: East Ralian Orlanthi

From: Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 21:08:25 -0800

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz> and Jeff write essentially:

>Three passes exist. One through Dorastor, one through Pralorela
>and one through the Mislari (which is now lost). Orlanthi
>worship was spread by the Lightbringers in the Dawn Age when those
>passes were free to them.

Don't know when the Mislari pass was lost, but Kartolin pass was lost during the Dawn Age. Praloria is very far from Eastern Ralios, and there's a lot of trolls and elves in the way.

Peter and Jeff postulate that Orlanthi contacted the Ralians in the Dawn age, and converted them to Orlanth worship. O.K., I can vaguely buy that. But in 1000 years of near complete isolation (sorry, I discount occasional magical flying back and forth as real, cultural communication) and continuous exposure to a strong Western culture they haven't changed into something dramatically different?

Geez, even the Irish mainly speak English. As I understand, Bali Hinduism is way different from Indian Hinduism. Maybe I'm being too extreme, but it just seems to me that any East Ralian Orlanthi should me almost unrecognizable from Sartar Orlanthi.

Jeff writes:

>I assure you that they are there my friend. Well-established with a very
>strong and dynamic culture of their own.

This is a fantasy world, isn't it? Nobody can assure me of anything. :-)

David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com> writes:

>I think it relates to the terrain. The Orlanthi are "hill barbarians," and
>parts of Ralios are full of hills. Presumably the Western plow doesn't do
>so well in the hills, so the Orlanthi can make a better living than the
>civilized farmers.

Hmm, this is almost logical and believable, and gives the first logical reason for why they would be holding on.

Morgan