Newtlings and Nets - assorted ramblings

From: Ashley Munday <Ashley.Munday_at_liffe.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:58:42 -0000

I seem to recall that "Monster Colostromy" had rules for using nets in it. I wouldn't bother buying it just for that though as the rest of it is about as useful as a choccy fireguard.

"Elder Secrets" had half a page on Newtlings I believe. Could be wrong though... "Apple Lane" had some NPC Newtlings as well as some hints about their lifestyle. Basically they swim about, eat fish and moan about people nicking their tails.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a race of Newtling style amphibians that behave like that Mexican jobby (I can't remember its' name, Axotl or something?) that keep it's gills throughout its life - even after sexual maturity. However, if their ponds start drying up, some naughty hormone kicks in and they develop lungs pretty damn quick (or perhaps just start using ones they've had all the time), dump the gills, wander off somewhere else and settle down again.

I'd have also thought that Newtlings would have to stay relatively moist most of the time, if they're anything like real Newts as a fair chunk of oxygen comes through their skin. Could be a real bugger in Prax in Fire Season.

Ash