Alatan Pirates

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 11:20:37 +1300

Keith Nellist:

Me>> These [Pirate] communites are on the Isle of Alatan with
>> its many bays and beaches.

>Where does this assumption come from?

'tis not an assumption, 'tis what is written in the Genertela Book.

>I see no reason for pirates not to land wherever there is a safe port;
>Alatan had just been sacked which hardly makes it a safe place to
>relocate.

One port city (Smelch probably) had been sacked, but not taken over. However the _whole_ population of Alatan are pirates. The Pasosi couldn't remove them from the Island so they are still there as clearly stated in the Glorantha Book.

>Alatan had ruled the ports of the Mournsea prior to this, it's pirates
>would come from any one of them.

Wrongo. It only ruled the Mournsea for about a year or two at the most. Furthermore these fleets are something on the order of fifty ships strong which means they do not have to recruit from servile populations.

Me>> Handra is at least 150 km away from the Nimistor river and to reach
>> there one either has to travel through Bastis (a separate Trader
>> Princedom) or through Ryzel (where man-eating 'newts live). It is
>> not part of Nimistor any more than the Solanthi are.

>The point is that people from Handra started ***sailing*** around the
>Mournsea, up the Nimistor river perhaps, and spread their new found Open Sea
>skills to everyone.

Why on earth would they need to sail _up_ the Nimistor? And the coast of Nimistor is part of the Newcoast cities which have rejected the rule of interior lords - the people at the mouth no longer _consider_ themselves part of the Nimistori trader-principality. Secondly Handran fleets were suppressed by the Holy Country.

> Why anyone would imagine the best way to spread a
>useful seafaring ritual would be to trudge overland is beyond me.

Nobody did. You did however try and claim Handra was part of Nimistor as evidence of the great Nimistori sailing traditions. I was pointing out that this was not so, hence the geographical arguments.