Hey Mom, what's for dinner?

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:23:26 -0800

Having just read "How Theya Two-Mothers Avenged Leikashearth" after reading "Troll Eating Habits" in the Uz Lore book, I had some questions about food in and around Dragon Pass for Pam, the SFC, or anyone else interested.

Theya points out that leaving an offering of onions in the root cellar every season will keep it rot-free. What sorts of onions and what kinds of root crops? Besides barley, what kinds of grains are grown and do the Orlanthi practice crop rotation along with rituals for Barntar and Ernalda?

What does Theya plant in her garden and what rituals does she use? Bless Crops, or does that only work on plowed fields? Does it work on orchards and vineyards? Any other poultry kept besides chickens?

Now for the list of foodstuff, admittedly dating from 857 S.T.

Tomatoes, potatoes, apples, mangoes, corn (as in maze), barley soup, green beer, strawberries, mushrooms, "good" beer, watermelons, nine-grain bread (which nine?), and honey.

I wonder how much mythic/cultural connection there is between people and the plants they grow? Do Elmal worshipers tend to favor yellow veggies and fruits while Lunar grow red ones? Are the apples around Apple Lane Golden Delicious or Jonathans?

Gary R. Switzer, who likes the little wierd things in Glorantha as much as the big ones.