Maps maps maps

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:32:10 -0800

Mike Mittman writes:

>Jeff Richard also argued that Orlanthi are the only flying people.
>While I'm sure most Orlanthi believe that, the hawk riders of
>Dykene, the wyvern and moon boat riders of the lunar empire,
>the sorcerers of the west, the imminent masters of the east would
>all disagree (well, maybe not the imminent masters, they would
>claim that they are not people, they are dragons).

First thing is first, the Orlanthi are the only Glorantha humans for whom it is true that a significant portion of their population (roughly one in fifty) can actually fly. Pretty much all other cultures simply levitate up or down. As for folk who ride beasties or thingies - they are pretty damn rare. Besides that, I strongly doubt that they are used for making accurate maps. Even if they were, only the Moon Boat constitutes a relatively stable platform for making the map. All of the others would result in a map from memory - hardly the most accurate of things.

Second, for most people capable of doing the previous feats (Orlanthi godtalkers, levitating Pelorians, etc.), making a geographical map is not a priority. A Pelorian mystic (re: illuminated Red Goddess worshipper) can levitate because she has transcended the material world - not exactly someone who is likely to care about accurate maps. And so on.

Jeff