Magic Mapping, Part 13.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:00:42 GMT

Richard Bourke intervenes:

> the members of the [Togtuvei] subcult [of Yelmalio] received the
> "Seek Sun Dome" spirit magic spell, which with some minor assumptions,
> can be the base for accurate mapping, *without* assuming a very high
> level of mathematical skills.

I said before that the map-making discussion was somewhat reminscent of the Compass Debate. I see now that I considerably understated, and that <GregImpersonation> On Some Deep Level </GregImpersonation> it _is_ the Dread Compass Debate...

I think this is well on it's way to becoming the Most Abused Spirit Magic Spell, to recollect an old fanzine spoof straw poll. FWIW, my belief is that it was _never_ intended to be a precision mapping or navigational instrument, but rather a "how can I get to Gandhara?" type of affair. (i.e., gives information of a sufficient quality to get one there given a sincere desire to do so, not to satisfy arbitrary intellectual curiosity about where it is.)

> 1. Gloranthan civilized mathematics is at the Euclidian earthly
> level.

I'll agree with that, perhaps with the judicious addition of the qualification "maximum". Having said that, the Sun Dome is _not_ an outstanding example of Civilisation, though I don't disgree that they'd understand the geometry of equilateral triangles, which is the only real euclidean knowledge you're appealing to, AFAICS.

> 3. (cult secret) a "Sanctify" spell cast by a Togtuvei worshipping
> Acolyte or Priest can also act as a reference point for the "Seek Sun
> Dome" spell.

I can see why this is convenient for your thesis, but I believe this is a wholly unreasonable assumption. It would somewhat defeat the purpose of the spell if parties of frenzied map-makers could cause this sort of 'inferference' with the intended target.

> The first step
> is to measure and record a straight line in open country of 1600
> meters. An initiate stands at either end of this base line and casts
> a "Sanctify" spell at a prearranged time. The third initiate stands
> roughly equidistant from both at the apex of an equilateral triangle.
> By means of many "Seek Sun Dome" spells and a wooden instrument set
> to show an exact 60 degree angle, he zeroes in on the exact apex
> point [...]

Some problems with this idea:

	o  It's more or less feasible on completely flat, level ground,
	   but creeks, rises, cacti, beast riders, and other obstructions
	   in the way will cause significant inaccuracies in the
	   construction of the baseline, as will differences in elevation
	   between each of the 'corners'.

	o  You'd need on the order of 5000 such traingles to map
	   Sun County, and more if you used as smaller baseline, as
	   would probably prove necessary.

	o  The erroes incurred in base line length, and in the angles
	   of successive triangles are _cumulative_ from one measurement
	   to the next.  Repeat the procedure say 100 times in a row,
	   and the accumulated error will be fairly massive.

	o  If, as per your asuumption, SSD is only accurate to within
	   about ten degrees, how does it really help in the above
	   procedure?

> Togtuvei assassination squads.

I teeny-weeny reservations about this particular idea, too...

> Togtuvei Heroes.
> Successful completion of the greater Quest of Togtuvei automatically
> qualifies one for this status.

I think it's misleading to think of Herodom as being any sort of formalised "status". Heroes are pretty much of necessity one-offs, and highly individuated.

Slainte,
Alex.