Re: Overseas GTA

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:52:32 GMT

Andrew Behan (Hi Andrew: good to see another .ie posting now and then, even from a Dub <g>) writes:

> Given the number of continental Gloranthophiles/Digesters is there
> an argument for accepting payment in euros?

I wondered about this too, but a Common European GTA Policy, whilst it may please the European Commission, might not be that handy. For example, one Irish bank celebrated the introduction of the euro by effectively (for the sorts of sums of money we're discussing) putting currency conversion charges between different euro-denominated notes _up_. (I nearly gagged on my nasty Aer Lingus orange juice when I read that one.) Does anyone know what the situation is for depositing cheques between different nationalities of euroland bank?

Slainte,
Alex.