Gloranthan Trading Co.

From: Ian Gorlick <igorlick_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 17:31:31 -0500

As another foreigner, albeit closer to the USA than most, I also see some limitations in the proposed 10% discount for members. 1) It isn't competitive. As others have said: given the exchange rates, import duty, shipping costs; my local games store can probably still get me the item at a better price than direct ordering it from the USA. 2) It is not healthy for Gloranthan sales. My local shop only stocks Gloranthan material because they know they can get reliable sales of at least a few units of any product. If I and the few other local fans become members and start direct-ordering, then the shop may well decide not to waste shelf space on Gloranthan material, and that means new people won't see the material. Which is bad for recruitment and long-term sales.

It might cost Issaries more and be harder to administer, but maybe instead of a direct-order discount, they could offer a retail rebate? For example: I buy a product at my local shop, I send proof-of-purchase to Issaries, they put some credit in my account at Wizard's Attic, I get to use that credit to buy or at least subsidize the occassional product that my local merchant doesn't have.