Gloranthan Trading, all over ra shop.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 03:57:46 GMT

Eric Rowe replies to some anonymous person:
> >It's funny how you Americans have this tendency to confound UK with Europe.
> >Pay in UKP without having to worry about exchanging money? I know there was
> >a fuzion of currencies in this side of the ocean, but it wasn't into UKP.

> Believe it or not, some of us Americans(well, I'm part Kiwi so...) do
> understand that. The thing is, most Europeans who will buy Issaries
> Inc products and join the GTA are in England. So Rick's statement is
> correct.

I think you just defined a few _more_ people out of existence, by (at least by implication) conflating "UK" and "England"... (Though admittedly a similar argument applies, even pro-rata.)

You'd know better than I whether this was true for GTA signups (if I,I stock queries are an indication), but is this really so for _sales_? If you're selling an amount of product to "euroland" (what, about 300 million of us?) which is at least comparable to 50-ish million Englishpersons, something odd is happening... Didn't RQ sell _more_ in europe than in the UK -- though admittedly, I'm counting licencees and translations here, too...

Ian Gorlick writes:
> It might cost Issaries more and be harder to administer, but maybe instead
> of a direct-order discount, they could offer a retail rebate?

I think that'd be a rather nifty plan, and avoids the problems Ian articulates with the mail order route. I've even heard Chaosium people bang on about their no-discounting policy, for very similar reasons, so hopefully we're preaching to the choir, here.

I don't think that anyone is panicking, yet (or at least I hope not) about these assorted issues over the GTA arrangements -- nothing is truly done and dusted at this stage, right? That the GTA annoucement was so timely after the loud flump made by the stock issue is at least A Good Thing, so we should perhaps keeping the berating of Issaries for not having everything absolutely down pat, down to a dull roar...

Slan libh,
Alex.