Hawk Riders (was maps)

From: John R. Snead <jsnead_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 01:09:22 -0800 (PST)

In the discussion of maps, several people have mentioned the Hawk Riders. Who are they and what are they like culturally and physically (ie are they pygmies like the wasp riders)? Also, where are they mentioned? I couldn't find a reference to them in G:CotHW.

Wrt maps, I'd expect the Lunars with their Moon Boats and their need for maps with which to coordinate a large empire to be the best map makers other than the Mostali. I'd also imagine the Mostali have astoundly excellent maps, and that they occasionally sell lesser copies to outsiders willing to meet their prices. Of course, what a lesser copy means (other than having all info about Mostali removed) may mean is likely quite variable, and may range from less detail to a few outright lies).

Many Thanks-