Doing sums

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 16:17:46 -0000

John Hughes mentioned among much other good stuff:

> (Numeracy is much higher, but unlike the Dara Happans, the Orlanthi do
> not possess zero, and their pictographic cut stick number system makes
> even simple multiplication and division a mind-boggling task.)

Sounds fascinating, and all news to me. Would anyone like to fill me in on this one? Just how do Orlanthi count? How about other cultures? In particular, how about traders? Say you have a trader travelling from Sartar to Pavis on a regular basis: is she stuck with these cut sticks, or can she have an abacus? Does the Issaries cult perhaps have a secret skill of Arithmetic that gives them an advantage when bargaining?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/