Re: Overseas GTA

From: Andrew Behan <andrew_at_redbrick.dcu.ie>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 16:09:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Alex Ferguson wrote:
> > Given the number of continental Gloranthophiles/Digesters is there
> > an argument for accepting payment in euros?

> I wondered about this too, but a Common European GTA Policy, whilst it
> may please the European Commission, might not be that handy. For
> example, one Irish bank celebrated the introduction of the euro by
> putting currency conversion charges between different euro-denominated
> notes _up_.

If you are referring to the article in the Irish Times that I think you are I got rather the opposite impression. That is, the banks can no longer make FX charges on euro transactions, because they are now different denominations of a single currency. So, they have put up the FX charges on non-euro currency conversion (notably sterling and dollars) by between 60%-300%.

As anecdotal evidence I was in Belgium last week and credit card purchases while there were charged to me at the triangulated rate with no extras. - ------
Andrew