Re: More Harrek

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 99 17:08 MET

Peter Metcalfe argues with my argumentation.

Feel free to use the Page Down key, as the following deals with What Ifs...

>>At least the text is attributed to the wrong picture.

>It is? So when Gods of Glorantha uses the same picture twice and
>claims that it is a) Godunya with men who are dragons, and b)
>a priest to him with Immanent Mastery types as guards, only one of
>the facts can be true because the text is wrongly attributed in
>one case? This is an astonishingly feeble reason to dismiss published
>facts.

Troll Pak states that Belintar was apotheosized in 1258. Published Glorantha information is remarkbly consistent, but not entirely free of mistakes...

We know that published information contains contradictory information. Excuse me that I get suspicious when the _only_ information placing Harrek in the Rightarm Isles in 1616 is a retro-fitted legend to an illustration which is a symbolic depiction of the Hero Wars in total and happens to have Harrek killing a dragonewt in the top left corner.

If Greymane is mentioned for the pharaonic defeat elsewhere called Lion King's Feast, I wonder why Harrek is not mentioned in Genertela Book p.46.

But it is a fact that Harrek's description (Genertela Book p.15) does provide us with a couple of hard to reconcile statements if we take them literally.

>If Greg (or Sandy) wanted a picture of Harrek the Berserk sacking the
>Rightarm Isles for the genertela box and had to reuse the old picture
>due to time constraints, then I see no reason why the reuse of the old
>picture should necessarily negate their statement that Harrek sacked
>the Rightarm Isles in 1616.

Call me a cynic, but I suppose it went rather like "Hey, we got this old picture. Let's find an excuse to fit it in."

The spelling certainly shows that this legend was fitted in as a rush job. I guess the dates for Harrek were not checked.

What I really like about the legend to the illustration (and the others in Genertela Box) is the teacherly "Note the ..." sentence at the end.

>And Tales then says he went onto Threesteps, not Ginorth.

Tales says that he ended up at Threestep Isles, not by which route. DW 28 tells of a Pirate "invasion" in the Rightarm Isles in 1620 (not 1616, which is only a "raid").

>>Wolf Pirates see his potential as leader, bring him to Ygg's Isles.

>Harrek went to Threesteps after joining the wolf pirates according
>to ToTRM#10.

Yes. He arrived by 1620, probably earlier. I don't see any "go directly to jail, don't collect..." event card there.

>>My only omission is the legend of that White Bear & Red Moon cover in
>>Glorantha Book, for the reasons above. Peter's version has the advantage of
>>covering that event, mine has the advantage of simplicity.

>And given that this simplicity denies a well-attested fact in two
>sources for no good reason, one may wonder why this simplicity is
>advantageous.

Tales 10 is in no way exclusively supportive of your version. I maintain that the legend is the only published source explicitely placing Harrek in the Rightarm Isles in 1616.

If Harrek's presence in the Isles in 1616 is to be confirmed, your version will remain, but you asked how I came up with my version, and I gave you my interpretation of the textual sources, which aren't as devoid of internal consistency as you wanted them to appear.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #431