Hawk Riders, Mostali Maps

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 99 23:44 MET

John Snead asked about the Hawk Riders

>In the discussion of maps, several people have mentioned the Hawk Riders.
>Who are they and what are they like culturally and physically (ie are they
>pygmies like the wasp riders)? Also, where are they mentioned? I
>couldn't find a reference to them in G:CotHW.

The Hawk Riders are a group of "Yelmalio" worshippers in eastern Balazar, from the citadel of Dykene. They are detailed in Griffin Mountain, the great lamented RQ2 supplement which was reprinted in de-Gloranthafied form as Griffin Island.

If you have Griffin Island, here's a short conversion list to return the setting to Balazar:

Griffin Island: the land of Balazar, southeast of the Elf Sea. Zar: Balazar.
Hilme: "Yelmalio". The actual name of this deity is currently under discussion/construction.
Megaera (goddess): replace by Jakaleel.
Aeolus: replace by Orlanth Adventurous.
Redeye: no direct equivalent in Griffin Mountain other than the Seven Mothers as general Lunar border cult. Replacing the orcs will be the hardest work...
Ockless: The citadel of Elkoi. Replace orcs by Lunars (sic), and make Halcyon var Enkorth a scheming but not overly magical initiate of the Seven Mothers.
Surlt: Trilus.
Nidik: Dykene.
Soldier Port: Soldier Ferry, southwest of the Elf Sea, an entry to Balazar from the Hearlands.
Ostankach Bay: Elf Sea.
Dwarf Mountains: Greatway, north of the Stinking Forest/Dagori Inkarth, in the eastern Rockwoods.
Other mountains: mostly the Rockwood Mountains, with Gonn Orta's Pass hidden about half the distance between Dagori Inkarth and Orathorn. Griffin Mountain: west of the Rockwoods, in the Elder Wilds, south of the Troll Hills.
Slarges: replace with trolls. (Slarges are from Tarien in Pamaltela, where the slarge-specific encounters could be placed.)

Apart from this, most detail names have been retained in Griffin Island, and occasional references as in Troll Pak (Joh Mith, Votanki) still apply.

To return to the Hawk Riders: They were brought to Dykene by King Skilfil Hearthpiercer, and serve as aerial mounts for his elite "Yelmalio" guards. Skilfil is interested in getting Giant Condor Eggs from Vulture Country east of the Zola Fel, too, as detailed in two episodes of the old RQ2 Borderlands campaign.

>I'd also imagine the Mostali have astoundly
>excellent maps, and that they occasionally sell lesser copies to
>outsiders willing to meet their prices.

I suppose that Mostali maps would be next to useless to surface dwellers since they would show mainly subterranean routes, and when on the surface to show landmarks perceived by Earthsense.