More Newtling Musing (and another recipe, of sorts)

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:33:24 -0800

The reproductive habits of adult newtlings is a Big Mystery and (considering that the typical adult newtling has survived 30 years as a Roving Bachelor and/or Dragonewt Slave, with all the aquired skills and magic that implies) is likely to remain so. Both the articles in Eldar Secrets and River of Cradles state that the primary activity of the breeding adults is caring for the not-yet intelligent tadpoles, so I doubt there is any cannibalism going on, but as always, YGMV. Also, since wetlands that aren't being drained or poluted by industrial societies are generally incredibly rich in things to eat, I suspect that the primary cause of roving is social/mythic rather than biological. Just because newtlings have a simple culture doesn't mean they are simpletons. Maybe the best Trivial Persuit players get the best mates. =)

I also suspect that a Dragonewt expedition to capture newtling slaves might look very odd to a human or troll hunter. The Dragonewts would probably be on the lookout for exceptional newtlings and some newtlings might be looking to prove how exceptional they are to be "favored by the attentions of dragonewts" as it says in Eldar Secrets. I bet coming across an encampment of Dragonewts doing Odd Draconic Things while newtling bachelors cluster around showing how worthy of being "caught" they are would provide plenty of MGF.

How to Prepare RubbleRunner for the Pot:

"Remember a rubblerunner should be handled first to last
just as you would handle a suckling pig. First, it should be scraped, not skinned, and the hair is removed as follows: bring a bucket or big pot of water to a boil, adding a cup of wood ashes. Take a dipper and wet down the rubblerunner, then soak him in the boiling water for a minute or two. His fur can now be scraped off with a dull knife or piece of flint."

"Next slit from throat to vent and clean out vicera,
then remove reddish gland kernels under forelegs and in small of back. Cut off head and tail. Remove all of the fat you can find inside the animal and put the rubblerunner down in salted water overnight."

"I have eaten roast rubblerunner at a poor inn in the
Farmer's Quarter of New Pavis, prepared with prickly pear and the roots of the skullbush plant. It was remarkably good, since I had previously only heard of the traditional recipe; nail the rubblerunner to a stout plank, baste well while roasting before a brisk fire for three hours, then throw away the rubblerunner and eat the plank."

Gary R. Switzer
Aero Hobbies