Re: This 'er Newtling thread...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 02:59:40 GMT

Ashley Munday:
> Trotsky said: "They can't strictly speaking be neotenic (as dragonewts are),
> since that implies they are sexually fertile while appearing more or less
> larval."
> Okay, bang my use of neotenic on the head. ~klonk~

To defend the indefensible (i.e., Ash <g>) according to the OED (C, 9th), 'neotenic' means both "retention of juvenile features in the adult", as well as the more specific larval definition which Trotsky gives.

> I don't see any logical reason why Dragonewts wouldn't actually breed
> Newtlings to provide slaves.

Omigod... Master Red Kendragon of the Living Stone?

> There again, Dragonewts seem to do anything you would expect.

Aside from: the Unexpected! Yuk, yuk, yuk.

Slan libh,
Alex.