Maps

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:59:17 +1300

Simon Hibbs:

>It seems likely
>that the Brithini at least would have excellent maps of much of the
>world, particularly the regions in or near the ancient Kingdom of Logic.

You exagerate the knowlege of the Brithini. They don't have ordnance survey maps of the Golden Age as the detail in those maps is irrelevant to their worldview. They do have accurate maps, but the scope of their accuracy is related to their efforts to understand the world - which is not the same as our scientific viewpoint.

Moreover there's a slight flaw in calling the people of the ancient land of logic 'brithini'. The Brithini are only one of several peoples in that ancient land, the Vadeli being another, and the rest are the ancestors of the Loskalmi and the Seshnegi.

>These maps were probably extremely accurate, but unfortunately much of
>the world has changes significantly since then, rendering the maps
>useful only in part.

The mythic maps are extremely useful in heroquesting. What they lack is their relation to other parts of the world and the God Learners remedied this deficiency.

>The Kralorelan's particularly may have very good up to date maps of
>their own provinces, but their maps of the world probably date back to
>mythic times.

What happened to their documents from the New Dragons Ring? I don't think they burnt them.

>Without mathematical techniques to reproject views
>from different vantage points, there is no way to construct accurate
>maps of large areas using this method.

The polynesians had accurate maps of the pacific for their navigational skills yet were utterly lacking in these mathematical techniques. What is important is the relationship between landmarks. At the technology of most gloranthans, anything more accurate than a days travel over long distances is extravagant to their needs.