Historical Pain(ting)s

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 99 18:48 MET

Peter insists:

>And please answer the question of why you think
>Harrek's text is wrong because of the resued picture, and not
>the reused picture of the Kralori priest with dragonewts?

Neither legend claims to describe a historical event, so frankly I don't give a damn which one is the "correct" and which one is the "wrong" legend.

In case of the stylized Hero Wars piccie, I know it is a misinterpretation. You might as well take one of the seven Lunar Disks - say #2, "The Empty Victory of the Goddess", and make it "Storm Bull's Victory over Malia" without giving it any veracity, and even less historical credence.

>And any evidence to suggest Harrek was not in the Rightarm Isles
>as of 1616 is what?

Apart from a strong inconvenience in the timeline in Genertela Book which your model does solve (with half a page of explanations why this could be) the complete absence of any mention of Harrek in any other source for the Rightarm Isles in 1616. You'd think people would have noticed.

>And do you get suspicious when Gods of Glorantha reuses pictures?

I would get suspicious if the picture from DW 28 showing the Building Wall Battle would reappear as a picture of the First Battle of Chaos. You might as well sell me the Bayeux tapestry as a record of Richard the Lionhearted's crusade...

If an information is presented in a discrediting context, why do you wonder that people hesitate to take it as gospel? Or do you still believe that Gods Wall 1-17 is a depiction of Antirius, or that the bear is Ertelenari rather than Arakosus?

BTW: these were rethorical questions.