why? because it WORKS.

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_iname.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:45:01 -0600

Nikk E. makes a point about the Brithini using the same tactics forever:
>My suggestion is to combine the two. Sure, if you KNOW the tactics
>you can beat them, but the Brithini probably haven't fought in a long
>long time, and those that they have fought with probably didn't get
>an enormous understanding of their tactics.

Of course, this assumes some parity between forces. Considering the Brithini troops are immortal, and suported by immortal wizards: "Sir, the Brithini have moved to envelop the left flank, as the book said they would."

"Aha, now we have them!"
"Not exactly sir."
"What?"
"The ambush troops were butchered, the punji stakes were flown over, the
captured griffins were turned against us, the magicians were immolated, and the 10' thick stone wall we built as a last resort..."
"Stopped them?"
"...was disintegrated.  And..."
"And?  AND WHAT?  What's left?"
"...they sent me to accept your surrender."