Re: This 'er Newtling thread...

From: Baron von Moosehsunchen <wapiti_at_olivia.cedar-rapids.ia.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 99 21:21:51 CDT

& Scotty added: "Jeez, they eat enough of our tails now. Don't let them know
& that we eat our own young! Don't want to encourage those 'Domers...."
&
& This raises some interesting psychological questions about playing
& amphibians or fish. If Newtlings come from the amphibian tradition of
& dumping thousands of eggs and then it's every one for themselves how does
& that affect your personality and colour your interaction with other species?
& A human (and probably Troll) parent would probably die to save their
& children: a Newtling that has no concept of parental responsibility
& wouldn't. The first thing they'd remember from childhood is swimming about
& being hungry and finding it themselves rather than having someone look after
& them.

That's why I liked the idea so much. The psychology is different...very.

& There again, the bunch from the Rainbow Mounds, near Apple Lane, appear to
& look after their young and worship their ancestors (assuming the Great Newt
& is the proto-newt). Maybe they have a concept of responsibility to the
& species rather than to other individuals?

Could be. They do seem rather close-knit. But I don't think of anything in Apple Lane as being 'typical,' neither for the Orlanthi nor the newtlings. (I have fond memories of the adventure, though, as it was our very first foray into the Lozenge.) Unless the idea grows on me, I'll probably consider the AL newts an aberration.

Scotty