Maps

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:47:51 +0000

Peter Metcalfe :

>Moreover there's a slight flaw in calling the people of the ancient
>land of logic 'brithini'. The Brithini are only one of several peoples

>in that ancient land, the Vadeli being another, and the rest are the
>ancestors of the Loskalmi and the Seshnegi.

Did I say otherwise? Er, I don't think so!

Re. Kralorelan maps :
>What happened to their documents from the New Dragons Ring? I don't
>think they burnt them.

That's a good point. They would still exist, but how widely would they be circulated? How much of an impact would they have on the world view of the average Kralorelan, compared to the traditional maps?

>>Without mathematical techniques to reproject views
>>from different vantage points, there is no way to construct accurate
>>maps of large areas using this method.
>
>The polynesians had accurate maps of the pacific for their navigational

>skills yet were utterly lacking in these mathematical techniques.

>From context I see you're talking about mind maps and sequences of
relationships, not paper maps, so I fail to see how this point is even remotely relevent to the point I was making.

>is important is the relationship between landmarks. At the technology
>of most gloranthans, anything more accurate than a days travel over
>long distances is extravagant to their needs.

I'm sure there's a wonderfull mural somewhere in a wind temple of the view from the top of Kero Fin, but it would hardly be what we nowadays would call an accurate map. The foreshortening over distance would be severe, but it would still be extremely usefull to have. It wouldn't even be in the same ballpark as Pythagoras map of the mediterranean, or the portolano maps of europe for example.

Nobody is saying that gloranthans in general (a few special cases excepted) have no maps of anything whatsoever. I fail to see why you're trying to refute a point nobody is making. I'm sure lots of people have maps of glorantha that are perfectly adequate to their needs, but the question being debated is how many people have accurately projected, geographicaly accurate aerial view maps of the surface world.

I'd say very few.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #436