More Maps

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:52:34 +1100

Simon Hibbs scribeth
>Nobody is saying that gloranthans in general (a few special cases
>excepted) have no maps of anything whatsoever. I fail to see why you're
>trying to refute a point nobody is making. I'm sure lots of people have
>maps of glorantha that are perfectly adequate to their needs, but the
>question being debated is how many people have accurately projected,
>geographicaly accurate aerial view maps of the surface world.

It occurred to me whilst walking to work that the logical owners of geographicly accurate (albeit probably outdated as most maps are) are the Pole Star generals of the DH/Lunar armies. This group is used to an aerial vantage point, literate & at least appears to me to be well exposed to abstract thought. In addition they are near the top of a hierarcy with enormous resources.
Their job, if Tarsh War is accurate, is the disposition of troops for battle. A task made easier by physical maps, particularly the getting to &from the battle. Even so these maps would tend to be limitted to those areas the cult either has or expects to campaign in regularly; & even then to routes of march (potential & actual) & viable battlefields. Other detail may be present if inferred or added by scouts but is likely to be sketchy & unreliable.
 Equally areas not visited regularly ( or just not updated for some reason) will have increasingly inacurate maps. Mapping in Glorantha should be both arduous & dangerous & so will not be done unless neccessary & a mere 25 years can see disturbingly large changes in terrain. Hence the Gref Surveys. The first hint of a Lunar invasion is these odd characters measuring everything. Another reason to keep maps secret. If the enemy figures this out they are forewarned.

Potential scholar scenario hook. A bigwig decides to campaign in an area last visited 50-100 years ago. The scholars scramble to assemble the maps: yesterday as all such "requests" are. Are the maps still there? Readable? Even moderately correct? Instant survey or create missing detail from fertile imaginations? Consequences & repercussions?

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc