Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #436

From: Roland Volz <roland_volz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:55:51 PST

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 Ashley Munday spake thusly:
>Ah well. It's time to do the Desmond Morris bit and write a book: >"The
Naked Newt."
Or maybe it's time for "Newtpak".

>If the Newtlings wander about, you can be sure it's got survival of
>the species as the root reason why. The Newtlings themselves say it's
>'cause the Great Newt told us. Mythic behaviour is just the veneer
>that gets slapped over the top to explain things.
I've had cause to wonder, in my game, about the nature of newtling ancestor worship. Seeing as the ways the trolls worship their ancestress, the Agimori worship Lodril and the Orlanthi worship Orlanth (all arguably forms of ancestor worship) are wildly different, I've begun to wonder how to bring about MGF and a large dose of strangeness into Newtling religion.

>I really liked the idea of Newtlings gathered around trying to be
>"captured" by Dragonewts. Maybe Dragonewts have bands of Newtlings
>following them about, pathetically trying to be enlisted - bit like
>fighting your way through Athens airport avoiding the taxi drivers >and
porters.
But a large number of 'lings will get munched before they make it, especially considering how some players roll. ("What do you mean you died in character generation? This isn't Traveller!")

>1. There are no intelligent fish in the River of Cradles. What the
>fishermen and the local Zola Fel Piscati call intelligent fish are in
>fact river dolphins of some description.
According to River of Cradles, some small percentage of fish in the river are sentient and function as priests to Zola Fel. Making them river dolphins kind of takes the element of diversity out of the setting. With any fish you catch having some chance of being intelligent (if you are illicitly fishing) it adds a little spice to the activity.

Roland