Angels again

From: Aki Martti <marduk_at_sci.fi>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 01:50:07 +0200

Greetings,

Thanks for all your answers concerning my angel problem, I think that these luxites are best suited for my campaign.

I was originally thinking of more like a christian archangel wielding a sword of fire and swooping down from the sky. I didn't think that there were such in Glorantha before I was browsing Simon Phipp's Rune Quest and Glorantha web pages at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Rampart/1481/

On the pages are several descriptions of battles that include angels in them and also some tales where angels are mentioned, such as: "The Mistress of Light, Guardian of the Fires of Heaven"

Here is a part of the story:
- -

When Nysalor was created, several creatures of light descended from the halls of Heaven to serve him. One of these was a high-ranking Angel who bore the title of Mistress of Light, Guardian of the Fires of Heaven. During the GodTime, she was one of those charged with keeping the Fires of Heaven safe - the same fires which were used as part of the Skyburn. Over a period of time, the Mistress of Light became one of Nysalor's wives and bathed in his light.

As Arkat made his presence felt more strongly, many of Nysalor's people strengthened themselves by taking powers from Chaos. When the Mistress of Light saw that some had become Vampires, she was horrified and decided to ask her husband why they did this. He told her that if their natures were dark, they would become Evil Vampires, desecrators of Life, copies of Vivamort, but if their natures were of Light, they would become noble warriors to defend the Empire from Arkat and his army.

The Mistress of Light joined the cult of Vivamort to become a Warrior of Light and to prove that her Light Nature would triumph over the Darkness of Vivamort. She was wrong.
- -

This is where I came up with the idea of physical and personal, "man-like" but divine angels in Glorantha. So, is there any "truth" in Simon Phipp's stories or has he just modified his Glorantha to his own liking? It think Simon Phipp's pages are an excellent source for ideas but it would be nice to know which tales are "real" and which are just his own stories and don't fit in the "official" Glorantha.

Any comments?