Re: Ian's Illumination

From: Steven Barnes <SBarnes_at_brio.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:58:46 -0800

Alex Ferguson writes:

>Nikk writes:
>> Arkati Illuminates don't normally know they are Illuminated.

>This is getting into the realms of the duck Test, for me: they
>don't call it Illumination, they consider themselves _opposed_
>to Illumination, their 'Illumination' is functionally _different_
>from (Nysalorean) Illumination. Is it really Illumination at this
>point? Greg, at least, seems to think not, and I'm inclined to
>believe him.

Well, it seems to me that Arkat had two big illuminate powers, namely "ignore spirits of retribution" and "sense illuminates"; possibly others (I don't remember the list offhand; perhaps he did not register on "detect law" spells, if such things still exist in New Glorantha). If this ain't a school of illumination, I don't know what is...

In terms of MGF it is much more interesting for Arkati to be illuminated, rather than create a special form of "non-illumination" that is possessed by elite Gbaji-hunters.