Maps

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 02:49:27 +1300

Simon Hibbs:

Me>>Moreover there's a slight flaw in calling the people of the ancient
>>land of logic 'brithini'. The Brithini are only one of several peoples
>>in that ancient land, the Vadeli being another, and the rest are the
>>ancestors of the Loskalmi and the Seshnegi.

>Did I say otherwise? Er, I don't think so!

It's rather juvenile to snip out what you wrote, then try and pretend that you didn't say what I criticized you for.

Me>>What happened to [the Kralori] documents from the New Dragons Ring? I
>>don't think they burnt them.

>That's a good point. They would still exist, but how widely would they
>be circulated? How much of an impact would they have on the world view
>of the average Kralorelan, compared to the traditional maps?

Considering that the NDR Emperor burned all the old ones, the question is: What Traditional Maps?

>>>Without mathematical techniques to reproject views
>>>from different vantage points, there is no way to construct accurate
>>>maps of large areas using this method.

>>The polynesians had accurate maps of the pacific for their navigational
>>skills yet were utterly lacking in these mathematical techniques.

>From context I see you're talking about mind maps and sequences of
>relationships, not paper maps, so I fail to see how this point is even
>remotely relevent to the point I was making.

Simply because in an article about the history of mapmaking in glorantha, you made the unwritten assumption that accurate maps of large areas _must_ _necessarily_ _be_ ordinance survey maps. I am challenging this assumption.

>>...What
>>is important is the relationship between landmarks. At the technology
>>of most gloranthans, anything more accurate than a days travel over
>>long distances is extravagant to their needs.

>I'm sure there's a wonderfull mural somewhere in a wind temple of the
>view from the top of Kero Fin, but it would hardly be what we nowadays
>would call an accurate map.

So what? The Map of the London Underground has no geographical accuracy but it is very accurate for conveying the needed information - hence it is an accurate map. An accurate map _need_not_ be an ordinance survey map.

>Nobody is saying that gloranthans in general (a few special cases
>excepted) have no maps of anything whatsoever. I fail to see why you're
>trying to refute a point nobody is making.

If you think I was refuting the point that nobody had any maps whatsoever, then perhaps you should read my post again.

>I'm sure lots of people have
>maps of glorantha that are perfectly adequate to their needs, but the
>question being debated is how many people have accurately projected,
>geographicaly accurate aerial view maps of the surface world.

I'm sorry. I was responding to the person who wrote "a summary of my assumptions about the history of map making in Glorantha" and not the person who wrote "a summary of who has accurately projected, geographicaly accurate aerial view maps of the surface world." I'll try and be more careful in the future, shall I?