Elves and Elfsense

From: Neil Smith <neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:34:47 +0000

Ash wrote about elfsense:

> This strikes me as a sort of "body language" but perhaps transmitted
> through scent or some other medium. Nearby Elves know a tree's been cut
> because they can feel the vibrations of the impact of the axe, see the
> surrounding forest shake in an unnatural way and even perhaps smell the cut
> trunk. Is this the basis of "Elf Sense" ?

I don't think so. Elves are plants. Plants communicate through a variery of means, including the transmissions of pheromones/auxins/ whatever. A damaged tree releases pheromones that warn its neighbours; the neighbours warn their neighbours, and so on. Elves are tied in to this same cycle of message passing, but are much more sensitive to it, and have more flexibility in their reactions.

I posted my thoughts on Elfsense and how it ties in with elf phychology and worldview on the Glorantha Digest, (v03 n146). I can email or repost it if requested.

Neil.

Neil Smith                      email: neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
CISMG, Cranfield University,                    phone: +44 1793 785900
RMCS, Shrivenham, Swindon, SN6 8LA, UK            fax: +44 1793 782753