Re: Purple Marshes; hsunchen & chariots; aldryami

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:12:11 -0800

Peter Metcalfe answered Andrew Morton

> >On the Subject of maps , I have long been puzzled as to the location of the
> >Purple Marshes of Bloggom as referred to in the Scenario Ogxag's Hall in
> >Totrm 12.

> Luathela

As I recall, the official answer was that the Purple Marshes are wherever the GM wants them to be. (Luathela would pretty much be a death sentence for most PCs.)

Gary R Switzer

> I noticed that the Pralori are actually Elk Hsunchen, while the more eastern
> Damali are Deer. Now an elk could make a fine mount or chariot animal, but
> where do Hsunchen draw the line? In the Genertelan Players Book is says
>never
> "bind beasts to work like a slave." The example is a Bear Hsunchen and bears
> can be riden or can pull a cart/sled/chariot/etc. I can see three combat
>styles
> for Large Animal Hsunchen:

That's what the Rathori say, at least. I think the operative part is "like a slave," and this probably means harnessing animals to things, which makes them unfree.

> 1) Fight like the Telmori, mixed units of Hsunchen warriors and their animal
> "brothers."

Yup, I'll be the turtle hsunchen or the raccoon hsunchen do a lot of that :-)

> 2) Fight like the Praxians, except no reins or tack, mounted on their
>volunteer
> brothers, plus style 1.

Why no reins or tack? That's not forcing an animal to be a slave. Bits would be out.

> 3) Fight like the East Ralians, from chariots pulled by their volunteer
> brothers, plus 1 or 2 or both.

I know of no East Ralian hsunchen who have chariots -- it's the Orlanthi, who live in less dense woods, who have them.

> Now here's why I think Deer Hsunchen should use chariots

I think chariots are material culture beyond the means of hsunchen. Making wheels isn't theoretically beyond their capability, but it's just not a hunter-gatherer thing to do. Sledges or travois, sure.

I'm not sure why hunter-gatherers would need chariots. Doesn't help you hunt. You don't have villages you need to go visit. You don't have lots of stuff to haul around. There's no old fashioned cultural reasons that need to be kept alive (like Dara Happa).

Steve Lieb

> I recall some research being done about how
> plants conductivity changes when something happens to another nearby but
> unconnected plant (in a sense it's reacting to the "pain" of the other
> plant) - OK, this was all very early-80's stuff

There was similar research reported recently in Science News, something about plants in a forest being connected somehow (I forget if it was through very very thin tendrils or a fungus). Definitely made me think of Aldryami greensense.

James Turner wanted to know about Praxian initiation. I haven't run Praxians, but I think showing pivotal events of how your tribe survived the Darkness is a fine approach. Don't forget the Intelligence Contest (Deceitful).

Eiritha hid so she could make a huge sacrifice (Generous). She probably taught people how to milk their beasts.

> I know Prax is getting old hat and will be ignored by Hero
> wars but I still like the place.

I think the point is: how about publishing something different?