Chronoportation

From: N.J. EFFINGHAM <eng7nje_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:35:55 GMT

I've got two things to say about Chronoportation and Time Travel.

The first is that from what I can glimmer from Greg's view, time travel is possible. Sort of. I have to admit to being a bit murky here. From RQ CON Compendium it seems that people keep HeroQuesting back into actual Time (not just into the realm of myth) in an effort to change the future. Not just to observe the past, but actual real, Terminator-style changes of the past. The only reason that this sort of thing doesn't happen all the time is that Chronoportation seems to be limited in its range of where you can go to, seemingly you can't just pick a spot and teleport through time to get there. The fact is that when you, and all of your HeroQuesting buddies (from the past and from the future, all Chronoportating to the same place) arrive to change the past, such as the Battle of Four Arrows of Light (is that right? Is that the correct Lunar battle?) or go back to the Ragnaglar verus Storm Bull fight, you all meet a bundle of other HeroQuesters with the same idea! So when you, as an Uroxi initiate, go back in time to fight alongside Storm Bull against Ragnaglar, and you are accompanied by all initiates of Storm Bull, past, present and future, you face all the broo of the Cosmos, all HeroQuesting back themselves. And, by the by, everything always remains the same because no-one's been able to change anything. At the Convulsion (and I could have misinterpreted this) Greg did say something along the lines of directly equating HeroQuesting to Time Travel and giving HeroQuesters the ability to change time.

The second point is that I don't like that idea, and much prefer Pete Metcalfe's vision of Chronoportation as a form of Historical Tourism that we get from the Entekosiad. To me Chronoportation would be a rare thing, certainly you couldn't just choose to Chronoportate anywhere! Such a the Red Emperor's Toilet one quiet evening in the fourth wane where you can bump him off with no problem. The rituals that send you through Time can send you only to the great places! To the great battles and wars, the great apocalyptic occurences, the amazing events of the past. Plus, I'd say that there was no way for you to wander off through Time. So, you couldn't go back to an important battle in the Fourth Wane, do a runner and hide in Fourth Wane Lunar Empire and then bump the Red Emperor off. As soon as you leave the physical region of the battle you "pop" back into the present. I have a few more notes on Chronoportation with the rest of my HeroQuest notes, but that is the gist of it, I think.

Lastly, I think it was King Of Sartar or the RQ Con Compendium which says that failing a HeroQuest means you can end up in different places, or times, and that this was one possible explanation for Belintar.

All IMHO,

Nikk