Chronoportation (Matt Farr don't read this either...)

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:48:10 GMT

> From: "andrew" <andrew.moreton_at_virgin.net>
> >You have to have two sides for the Terminator scenario. Who did you
> >think of targetting exactly?
> >
> Lunar Assassins Targeting Kallyr Starbrow in about 1602, as my campaign
> is set in approx 1621 and the Characters are ,Loyal Sartarites who consider
> Kallyr Starbrow to be the Rightful prince of Sartar. I have'nt precicely
> worked out the dates yet as it will be several weeks before this plot
> starts.

Hmm, so they discover that the Lunars are going back in time to kill KS. And your players play the 'good guys' going back in time to stop this?

Hum. For several reasons I was envisioning your players as being the 'innocent bystanders' in the past among whom the Lunar Terminators erupt. Mainly because, in order that your players follow the Lunars they must be of Hero-level ability to be able to make the transit through the HeroPlane to the past. (If they are then good luck and the Gods be with you for I've no experience of running anything that powerful.)

If they discover that the Lunars are about to try this, can they 'hitch a ride' on the Lunar time travel device? Perhaps....

One of the things that the time-traveller must find (according to my original hypothesis) is a regularly recreated event that they can use as a path back to the past. Perhaps a ceremony of the Crimson Bat Cult that regularly re-enacts the first Binding of the Bat by the Goddess? The Lunar Terminator Squad (and their somehow concealed Sartarite opposition) could perhaps ride it back to an earlier re-enactment. (Hmm, maybe the Bat isn't the idea example but you get the idea.)

But the main problem I'm having with this set-yp is the idea that any Lunar Hero in 1621 would consider KS enough of a problem to be worth wiping out their current history for. Things just aren't bad enough for the Lunars to expend magical energy on such a project. In fact from the Lunar POV everything is just peachy in 1621 and the triumph of the Red Goddess seems assured.

>From the late third age, just before the Dragons tear down the moon, then yes
I can see the last hideous remnants of the Empire trying to reset reality to something friendlier. But in 1621, Kallyr was just an outlaw. Probably dead, certainly impotent, from a Lunar point of view.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.