Re: Great compromise

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:50:06 +0100

Me:

> > The IG is a "High God", a transcendental entity, and
> > as such beyond issues like the Compromise.

Alex:

> Hrm... That description makes me a _little_ nervous, as "High God"
> generally refers to the objects of mystical devotion, whereas the
> IG is not such

That's why I put the quotation marks around it. I don't mean to immply in any way that the IG is a mystical entity like the High Gods of Vithela. It is, however a transcendent entity, just like these and the High Storm and the High Sun of the first age (IMO).

> semi-mystic cults among the Malkioni). Westerners would say that
> the IG was 'beyond' the High Gods as well as the Gods, and at least
> in a sense (reachability by modes of worship, apparent capacity
> for affecting the mundane world, place in the cosmological framework)
> they'd appear to be right.

One could say that Malkion in the role of the IG is on the same "level of being" as the High Gods, whereas the Creator is at the same level as Atrilith (or Durapdur, I'm not familiar enough with the western cosmogony).

> You mean vice versa, of course! "Kralori Myth -- the original, and
> still the best!" And what's more they have the meticulous paperwork
> to prove it...

Read the Yederjalif, young dragon...

> What should be stressed, though, is that is from the (say) Orlanthi
> PoV, this is all complete guff. The Easterners and Malkioni are as
> magically subject to the compromise as everyone else, they just talk
> a lot of nonsense about their Inexistent God or their Ancestral
> Lizards that quite obviously makes no sense. They just ain't proper
> gods at all! It's a bug, not a feature!

While that is the only attitude that makes sense, there are problems, like how to explains the gods walking about the East Isles in full freedom, but I guess that "they are just very big spirits".

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/