Elfsense

From: Neil Smith <neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:19:39 +0000

Ash wrote:

> Neil Smith mentions Pheromones and Auxins as means of
> communication between plants. Well, seeing as I know bugger all
> about plant physiology I'll buy it.

I'll let you into a secret: I know as much about plany physiology as you do. But it sounds convincing, and could even be right!

The key point is that elves are no more conscious of the communication between tree and elf than you are conscious of, say, other humans' sex phermones, or of the communication between your adrenal glands and your heart.

Another anology struck me a while ago: elves can be thought of as something akin to white blood cells in an animal: independent of action, free-moving, but very definately part of, and controlled by, a larger organism (the Forest). OK, elves are far more autonomous and independent, but you get the genral idea.

Neil.

Neil Smith                      email: neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
CISMG, Cranfield University,                    phone: +44 1793 785900
RMCS, Shrivenham, Swindon, SN6 8LA, UK            fax: +44 1793 782753