Re: Vormain

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:25:57 GMT

Peter replies to me:
> >For almost all its history, Vormain has
> >been utterly isolated from the outside world -- no-one leaves, and
> >no-one who goes there reports back successfully.

> People do leave, they are just not allowed to speak on what goes
> on in Vormain. And if anybody asks, they have to chop them up
> into mincemeat.

I don't think that's a 'usual' state of affairs though, just the current one. OK, 'no-one' is an overstatement, but I think for most of history anyone leaving is a real rarity. Yes, there's diffusion of people from the Empire to the Hinter Isles, and from the Hinter Isles to the East Isles in general, and thence to the outside world, but the attenuation at each stage is pretty large.

> >The fact that there are currently a few refugees from Vormain is probably
> >something of a portent in itself, as much as the rumours of a dynastic
> >crisis within, just as a Brithini maternity ward would be -- 'normal'
> >for them, just ain't.

> I think Dynastic crisis are more prevalent than Brithini population
> explosions.

Yes, but not all changes of dynasty are at all externally visible, much less producing significant numbers of refugees. I think even 'today', with portents of the Hero Wars flying East, West and Centre, someone turning up from one of the Eternal Isles, straight onto Haragala or someplace, would be a Big Event. Some hick whose family has been cooling its heels on some Telask-forsaken Hinter Hole for generations would be much less impressive, of course.

Cheers,
Alex.