GTA re-raked.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:06:30 GMT

David Cake replies to Brian Tickler on the GTA:

> And yes, the cost benefits do not really weight up. Thats because
> they are trying to raise money. Through donations. And then sweetening the
> donation with a few benefits. Its simple really. If you don't like it,
> remain a customer.

I'd have to go along with this. Brian's cost/benefits 'analysis' entirely misses the point, if you ask me -- though it would be 'nice' if provision for longer-term, on-going benefits, such that if Hero Wars were _absurdly_ successful, all the "'investors'" (note doubly-redundant quotes) would break-even/come out ahead, without imposing unreasonable short-term costs on Issaries. I recognise that's awkward, though, without making the future bonos very vague, or very cumbersomely offered. It would also be 'nice' if Issaries people were a tad more touchy-feely in their responses to comments on the GTA. I doubt either will happen though, and to be honest, these are just nuances compared to what _really_ matters, which is getting the money, and publishing the goddamn game. These comments from Brian, who has rubbished the venture from start to present, and doubtless will till the finish too, never sounded in the least likely to participate as a donor (or investor) are in danger of sounding self-indulgent, unhelpful and mean-spirited, to say nothing of 'extremely spammy'.

To disgress from David's point, I had to 'laugh my ass off' (to use a Brianism) at the comment about Visa charges. Yes, credit card companies try to bully their retail 'partners' into absorbing the credit card costs -- or rather, into passing them on to non-card-using customers, to be precise. What on earth is sancrosanct or noble about this wheeze that Issaries deserves _any_ degree of criticism for wanting to avoid this? As to the 'legality' of doing so, I'm not at all sure, but IIRC UK petrol stations did much the same thing recently, as they were getting narked off with Visa and Mastercard swiping most of their profit margins, which seems a reasonable enough reaction to me...

> Its separate so Glorantha is not the same business as Lovecraft book
> publishing, Arthurian RPGs, CCGs, Wizards Attic or all the other Chaosium
> stuff. Sounds fine and sensible to me.

Chaosium Arthurian RPGs? Ain't no-one here but us chickens... (Pendragon has already been 'sold' to Green Knight.) I guess they still have Prince Valiant, though....

Slan libh,
Alex.