Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #450

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:42:34 -0800 (PST)

Richard:
> This is not a financial investment.
>
> The GTA is not trying to deceive anyone.
>
> The benefits your receive for your donation are mainly GTA's heartfelt
> attempts to express appreciation for your patronage. You will not get
> rich, you will not turn a profit.

Why would these avenues be mutually exclusive now when they weren't before? When Issaries was planning to sell shares, this was essentially (a) a business proposal designed to reward investors, and (b) a desparate plea for charitable donations (given the riskiness of the proposed plan). I thought that Issaries had concluded that membership and benefits was a viable way around selling shares (which it is), but perhaps Issaries really only sees the "donation" part of it. Here's how you can get completely around the selling of shares, undertake your risky business plan, and offer the contributors a chance at actually getting back their "investment" + more in return:

Initiate: $100
One scenario pack/year free ($10-$20 value; 5-10 years to "break even")

Rune Master: $500
All core books free (at ~$50-$100 value/year; 5-10 years to "break even")

Hero: $1500
All publications free (at ~$150-$300 value/year; 5-10 years to "break even")

Throw out most of the other benefits; many of them are elitist junk anyway. If the money doesn't add up, adjust appropriately (Initiate $125, etc.). Of course, there'd have to be *hard* guarantees on publication schedules for this to work out, but it gets you completely around the "shares" issue by providing "dividends" the longer Issaries is able to publish. It becomes a bet on the part of the investor...betting their money against Issaries' folding in less than X number of years (still a risky bet IMO). If Issaries is as sure they can pull in a new customer base as claimed, then they should be willing to risk the lost revenue stream from their "investors". If Issaries lasts 20+ years, then "investors" reap the benefit, *as they should*, being key contributors to the success of the venture.

The donation scheme will only work if there's $50K of goodwill left towards the people holding the reins to Glorantha, and I wouldn't consider that a safe bet nowadays...besides, it's a more ethical solution than "Be a true insider!...As all good Orlanthi know, gifts are good and worthy...donations over the minimum are especially honorable". How many can honestly say they didn't wince when they read those lines?

> If you agree to support Greg and Glorantha out of pure charity (as "Patrons
> of the Arts"), you can hardly whinge about the "terms" on offer. If you wish
> there was a better way to fund continued Gloranthan publications, you are
> not alone. I, for my part, worry that the continued liveliness and viability
> of the fan scene (such as it is) will be wrecked when con-goers need to
> present their GTA Secret Decoder Rings (1st Class) in order to gain
> admission to events...

My point is that Issaries does not have to fall back on "pure charity" just yet, they have merely chosen to do so.

Agreed on decoder rings...but actually I see the reverse problem...everyone will be allowed to walk right on in to the "special" events, and then those who donated will be (rightfully) upset...of course, they won't actually have any recourse at that point, but...

Also, securing the web content won't be at all easy.