FAQs of PraQs

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:56:54 EST

James Turner has some Praxian questions; hee are my opinions on some of them:

<< What happens when a roll for peaceful cut fails?

My opinion is that a failed Peaceful cut just causes the animals spirit some kind of distress, a success means that it is entirely happy with it being eaten. In return a animal that had it's Peaceful Cut bodged in some way would cause the bodger to suffer some calamity; butted by a bull, trod on by a calf, tread in a cow pat etc.
Life, and Death, are no longer perfect.

A fumble could be a degree of magnitude worse, and would involve shamans, ghosts etc. I also beleive that in a clan environment the Peaceful Cut would only be done by the most experienced tribesmen. The wielder of the knife is performing a sacred duty.
Raided beasts from other tribes would be viewed with less respect. Butchering a large herd beast would be a major undertaking in the Wastes, remember that every part of the animal is used for something. When viewed like this the senior butcher would have an almost supervisory role with all his assistants cutting, scraping, sawing, pulling etc at assorted animal parts.

<< Eiritha and peaceful cut:>>
My view is that Peaceful Cut is either some sort of prayer of forgiveness to the spirit of the animal, or a legal treaty drawn up in the god time which needs reiterating. Whichever it is I can see a justification for Eirithans to be able to do the magic of the ritual even if they need a Waha initiate to kill the best. But, on this one I could easily be persuaded.

<< Tada:>>
<< Do the animal nomads see Tada as one of them?>> I think they probably do, but would realise he was from a different era.

 <<If someone quested for Tada to return. Would Tada help the  oasis folk throw out their nomad oppressors?>> when he appeared he would say "Tada!" as if pulling a rabbit from a hat.