Re: Great compromise

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:35:05 +0100

Me:

> I quibble with Nils' use of "High God", in relation to the Invisible God:
> > That's why I put the quotation marks around it. I don't
> > mean to immply in any way that the IG is a mystical
> > entity like the High Gods of Vithela. It is, however
> > a transcendent entity, just like these and the High Storm
> > and the High Sun of the first age (IMO).

Alex:

> But because the IG isn't (normally) a mystical entity, it becomes
> even harder to determine if they are the same 'level of being'
> as such dudes, who are.

First a question of terminology: What do you mean by "mystical entity". I read it as "deity who is liberated through mystical means" (Oorduren, Govmeranen, Mairnali).

But, I don't see a problem in that there are transcendent beings who "got there" from different directions.

> That He is apparently 'less accessible'

Is it? Worship the IG the right way and you _know_ you'll find Solace. Worship you average Vithelan High God without the almost forgotten sacred texts and you get _nothing_.

> I'm also not sure which the 'best' analogue for the Invisible God
> is; likely either Vith, or Atrilith. That the Westerners have
> some sort of layered notion of 'Malkion', and vary among themselves
> as to the identity of God also complicates matters.

Indeed. My take:

Creator - Durapdur
Invisible God - Atrilith

> > While that is the only attitude that makes sense, there
> > are problems, like how to explains the gods walking
> > about the East Isles in full freedom, but I guess that
> > "they are just very big spirits".
>
> I agree that there are such problems. The Orlanthi aren't exactly
> confronted with them regularly, of course. They'd probably most
> likely in the first instances regard them in the manner that treat
> Pelorian avatar-types, if encountered. How viable this interpretation
> is, that's another matter, so their understanding/rationale might have
> to evolve as they go...

The number of philosophically inclined Orlanthi who meet Vithelan gods in the flesh is likely to remain low...

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/