Vormain

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 00:04:58 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>I agree with this, but would like to ask about the effect of the
>Closing/Opening on Vormain. Presumably this was a blessing to the xenophobic
>Vorumai when it frst hit the islands

Correct.

>The capacity of refugees from Vormain to escape the
>islands is surely dependant on Open Oceans.

Sailing between the East Isles does not require the Opening Spell.

>How did this xenophobic people learn Dormal's secrets?

It's possible to find Vormaini in the Hinter Isles and teach them the secret. They can spread it around quite happily.

>Before the closing it is my guess that relations with the major sea power of
>the time would not have been rosy: Waertagi, Jrusteli, Golden Mokato.

The Waertagi were long extinct, the Jrusteli were powerless in this region and Missing Lands says that "Before the Closing, most of the Fleets from the Empire had been withdrawn, leaving behind a small and threatened network of tribute collectors behind" (ML p32).

Secondly Mokato couldn't kick the Malkioni (Valkaro's Isles) out of the Eastern Isles, so what chance do they have of thwarting a massive outbreak of refugees?