Re: GTA vs defunct stock plan

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:08:29 -0800

Ashley Munday wrote

> Erm, they used to add up a bit more conclusively before they cocked up the
> share issuing thing, didn't they? It looks to me (who is perhaps overly
> cynical of the motivation of people who own companies) that if the GTA can't
> offer something comparable to the benefits mentioned in the original planned
> share issue then either:

I dug out a document dated 20 July 1998, which talks about product dividends: $100-900 worth of stock gave a dividend of one free product (Hero Wars). $1000-$9900 worth of stock was three (or two, it's not completely clear) additional products, one a year. $10K plus was all Gloranthan products. (These levels were called Lay Member, Initiate, and Acolyte, BTW.) I believe this is substantially similar to the original handout at the Victoria Glorantha-Con (which I threw out when I got an updated draft.)

The GTA levels not only have more complimentary names, but a $500 donation brings you a more tangible reward than the original plan (you get a core book and a supplement, discounting any other premiums). I suppose the $1500 level is more dicy -- it depends on how many core books are published in 3 years (4 are already in the planning stages), but you're guaranteed at least the one you sponsor plus one supplement.

I guess I'm not clear how the new plan isn't comparable (other than, of course, not giving you stock). I must be missing something.

BTW, the level of civility on the Digest has been declining recently. Surely it's possible to respond to Brian Tickler's messages without attacking Brian Tickler.