GTA questions

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:56:09 -0800

Alex Ferguson tries to find a loophole:

> > You can't even set up something that *looks* like an investment,
> > because it risks being treated as one.

> But what you can do is to provide something with (intended) on-going
> benefits (as per the Hero level donation, for example), with all the
> usual caveats that it's not an investment, may or may not actually
> come up with the goods, blah blah blah.

I was only involved in part of the legal discussions, but simply saying that something isn't an investment (or even getting both parties to agree to this) is not sufficient to prevent it from being treated as an investment. Even if, as Eric points out, it's possible to find a lawyer who'll say something different.

> How many RM's so far, David? ;-)

5 (out of 32 donors). Also 5 Heroes. See the web site. Thanks to these generous folks, nearly a quarter of the minimum needed has already been raised!